Should I Let My Child Wear Makeup?

How to decide if I should let my child wear makeup? On Falcondale life blog. As a Mum my opinion matters and I want my daughter to have perspective. When is the right age for makeup? How to help my daughter understand about makeup. Superdrug makeup flatlay and dance in a prom dress.

At nearly 12 years old my youngest daughter finally asked for makeup to experiment with. She’s waited until she is quite old to let me know she is interested. If she practices over time she can learn to apply it neatly. But if she thinks she can wear a ton of black eye-liner to go shopping in town with her friends, I will have something to say about it! I’m sure that won’t happen.

Why do I think my opinion on my child’s makeup matters? After all, we have to pick our battles and there are bigger issues like homework.

I can’t avoid the concerns about young girls wearing makeup. At one end of the scale it could be self-expression but at the other end of the scale there is sexualisation. Mums are leaders to their children so my opinion will always chime, whether they appear to be listening or not.

How to decide if I should let my child wear makeup? On Falcondale life blog. As a Mum my opinion matters and I want my daughter to have perspective. When is the right age for makeup? How to help my daughter understand about makeup. Children's jewellery

My Own History of Makeup

As a child I had a large strawberry birthmark on my nose. My mum bought me foundation and powder to cover it when I was around 11. I was not encouraged into anything beyond this, but I was curious. I did have other makeup as a thirteen year old. Sometimes with a friend we applied lipstick and eye-shadow badly and removed it in a hurry.

We weren’t supposed to be allowed makeup at school and I remember a male teacher made a lot of negative comments about it. To be fair, he did say we all looked good without it, and we might need it when we get old. I guess that was ok, but it stuck with me because I thought, what does he know, because he is a man?

Back then there was a book on the stall at church, about a young girl who wore makeup when out with friends. She hid this from her parents who didn’t want her to wear it. She wiped it off on the way home with a tissue and in the end she got an eye infection. Nothing else about church made me think that makeup was inherently bad and I was confused by the so-called Christian message in this book. Eventually I realised the book was not really about makeup. In a crass way it was a warning about disobeying parents. The theme about makeup confused me.

I never discussed makeup with my mum and I probably should have because books like this, and my opinionated male teacher, were not much help.

How to decide if I should let my child wear makeup? On Falcondale life blog. As a Mum my opinion matters and I want my daughter to have perspective. When is the right age for makeup? How to help my daughter understand about makeup. Superdrug makeup flatlay.

Providing a Good Perspective

A few years ago I bought both my daughters a makeup set. My youngest was barely 9 so hers was mostly tinted lip-balm. I wanted my girls to know that I thought it was ok to play with the stuff. I never want them to feel that it is banned or frowned on. Above all, I didn’t want it to be something they felt they should hide from me. Anytime I could say “wash your face, you’re wearing too much” or “take that off before you go out”. Those sets are still completely untouched but at least I gained the initiative.

I don’t want my children to hide makeup from me, but equally I don’t want them to go overboard. It’s true that they look better without it and I can tell them so. I want to be able to give them perspective. For example they already understand that I would wear more for a night out and less in the day and this makes sense to them. If they are choosing their own clothes, then I have to assume they are ready to express themselves with makeup too.

How to decide if I should let my child wear makeup? On Falcondale life blog. As a Mum my opinion matters and I want my daughter to have perspective. When is the right age for makeup? How to help my daughter understand about makeup. Dance in a prom dress.

Being Practical

In my view, if teenagers never experiment with makeup, then suddenly one day an event like Prom will come around and they will have no idea of how to approach it. There will be a sudden crisis! I do see practical advantages in kids having a go.

Starting to use makeup means starting to take care of skin, thinking about cleansing hygiene and moisturiser. It’s a good time to add in some sun protection and avoid permanent damage to vulnerable young skin.

The one thing I did add to the new makeup bag for my tween was remover wipes. The girl in the silly book at church did remind that proper cleansing is no joke. It’s important.

What is your experience of children starting to use makeup? Let me know in the comments!

After the Playground

Other blog posts – are my children old enough to be left without a babysitter? Click here

Other blog posts – are my children worried about things they have seen on the news? Click here

12 Comments

1. 16th May 2017 / 7:09 pm

If it is purely experimental then I would say there is no harm in it at all. It’s all part and parcel of growing up (which they do far too quickly) 🙂 x

2. 15th May 2017 / 2:41 pm

Both girls have a good, daily cleansing plan and really don’t need foundations and concealers. Thirteen is the age that we’ve agreed that makeup can start to be worn. Saying that, the Teen is still subtle. She has friends that won’t leave the house without it. I’d rather they were confident enough without relying on makeup to hide behind. Wear it because they want to not because they feel they have to. #TweensTeenBeyond

3. 15th May 2017 / 1:49 pm

We’ve had some interesting times with make-up recently. I hardly wear any make-up so haven’t modeled this behaviour to my daughter. However, she has received a lot of ‘play-makeup’ from birthday parties so has experimented with it at home. I’m not really that keen on this (similar to the commenter above who was horrified that her 4 y/o equated it with being pretty). However, I realise that it is probably part of make-believe.
    However, of late, I have noticed that bits of my make-up have gone missing. And I have caught my daughter trying to go out with eyeshadow and lipstick on (she’s almost 9 BTW) and we have expressly nixed this. She keeps trying to sneak out of the house with it on and we keep making her wash her face. I am worried that the sneakiness is a direct response to our parenting in some way. That notwithstanding, she is too young to go out in make-up so I’ll stick to my guns on this one. #TeensTweensBeyond

4. 15th May 2017 / 9:06 am

My daughter has suffered from acne and eczema and has really sensitive skin so really this has prohibited her use of make up as we have been more focused on her keeping her skin clean and well moisturised. Now that (fingers crossed) we seem to be emerging from that phase it maybe that make up will play a more prominent role but at the moment it is literally lip gloss and occasionally getting her nails painted. Personally, I don’t like to see young girls with a lot of make up but everyone has to experiment at some point. #TweensTeensBeyond

• 15th May 2017 / 9:43 am

I think that’s exactly it. There is a point where they are too young but they gradually grow up and then what? BTW it’s a bit pricey but it might be worth looking at Jane Iredale skin care makeup for your daughter. Thanks for your comment!

5. 14th May 2017 / 10:56 am

With 3 girls there is a fair amount of make up in my house. I think my eldest two started to wear it every day when they were about 13 and prior to that it was just when they were going out. A bit of experimentation from 11 years doesn’t any harm I think. At least they learn how to do it properly. I’m not sure I ever have! Thanks so much for joining us at #TweensTeensBeyond

6. 12th May 2017 / 11:01 am

My 4 year old wants to wear makeup to look pretty. I only wear it on special occasions and was horrified to think she equates makeup with prettiness. I agree with you that there is more to just applying makeup, there is also the skincare regime that goes with it.

7. 11th May 2017 / 11:28 pm

I think as long as she’s sensible with it then it’s ok and also not getting into a habit of wearing it every day. I’m not near this stage yet with my daughters x

8. 11th May 2017 / 9:20 pm

I think as long as she’s not putting it on with a trowel and being sensible with it then there’s no reason not to dabble.

9. 11th May 2017 / 8:29 pm

I think I was about 13 when I first started wearing make up. But my niece was much younger. I was never taught by my Mum and I am officially bad at applying it. 12 is a good age to learn and you’ve done well that she’s waited until now. It sounds like you’re doing really well by them

10. 11th May 2017 / 1:07 pm

This subject has been around a fair bit for us. My daughter is 11 next week and lives nothing more to play beauty salons and get made up when she is playing. Lip gloss and balm have always had a little outing but I noticed the eyeshadow start to appear. Aside from anything else, it looks funny when they are so small. It reminds me of the children in the beauty pageants. Not a healthy look. Obviously, it isn’t the popular choice but we will stick to our guns for now. That’s the thing with their age group isn’t it. They can’t wait to grow up. #tweensteensbeyond

11. 11th May 2017 / 11:29 am

I don’t think I thought about make-up until I was about 13 or 14. I’d hope my girl waited until then as well