My French Shopping List du Jour

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Supermarket shelves   I’ve written an usual shopping list today. My husband is stranded in France this morning. Just for a few hours. His flight home has been cancelled because of bad weather so he’s coming on a later flight. Every time he goes on a business trip to Europe the timing is incredibly tight and we are lucky if he comes home with a souvenir fridge magnet, purchased in the airport. So when I heard he had a few hours of waiting around this morning I begged him to pop to the supermarket! I don’t know if he will but here’s the text I sent him (feel free to deride me, I really don’t care – it was worth a pop I reckon!).

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Text message.

A little explanation of my top shopping picks

Soft sheep’s cheese is a rarity in the UK. Lou Perac is a fairly common brand in France and I flippin’ LOVE the Perail. My husband doesn’t speak French so I didn’t want to make him struggle with trying to say too much at the deli counter, but that really is the best place to find Gouda affine (vintage). The F and B mentioned in my text are our children, by the way. My husband is a little proud that F has inherited his family’s love of cheese. I am a little proud that B has inherited my boundless capacity for pancakes.

Clafoutis or Far Breton?

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Clafoutis packet mix by alsa

The packet of Clafoutis mix is a cheat, but such a good one. I’m sure I could get an actual recipe and make it from scratch but French packet mixes are – unsurprisingly – better than British ones and this is YUM. It is very much like a Far Breton which you may have tried on your French holidays. French Google tells me that Clafoutis contains a little flour but Far Breton does not. Actually I couldn’t taste the difference. Far Breton is made with prunes and you can do the same in Clafoutis.

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Clafoutis with raspberries

Our host from our Breton gite made a Far Breton for us last year and it looked like a Yorkshire pudding or even an over-cooked lasagne. It was quite a surprise when we cut into it and discovered it was a dessert! It is a bit like a cheesecake without a base, quite custard-y and very nice at room temperature. I made Clafoutis with raspberries last week (pictured).

More treats and bargains

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Pouring Agave syrup

Agave syrup is available in the UK, it’s on sale in Sainsbury’s. But it’s twice the price compared with France so I had never tried it until we bought it in Intermarche. It has a delicate flavour and is a complete delight in porridge (of which the French sadly have little appreciation). The taste fools me into thinking it has less calories than golden syrup.

As I’ve said in a past blog, France is a good place to go shopping for cheap stationery and school supplies, but we’ve already broken one compass and lost a protractor so I wish we had bought spares. You might want to leave the notebooks alone however, as they all are printed with squares instead of lines.

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Sel de Guerande sea salt

Guerande is an area of France famous for sea salt. It has a really strong flavour and is really only suitable for savoury food. It is traditionally used in Galettes which I wrote about recently. It’s a bit of a gimmick perhaps but you can buy little packs quite cheaply with added herbs, spices or other flavours. We have an herb flavour packet but I’d like a spice one now. I don’t know but it might not be widely available in France as it’s a Breton product.

Souvenirs and Tourist Tat

My French Shopping List du Jour on Falcondale Life blog. Towel Brittany souvenir

Jeremy Clarkson once said “France is for holidays” and although he is a complete *$%£**^)”~@#* it is fair to point out that the French know what a very popular destination their country is. There is a good chance that the supermarket near your holiday destination will sell some souvenirs to tempt you while you’re shopping. We collect fridge magnets but have also bought a hand towel, breakfast bowls and an inexplicable frog basket. Many items have the flag or emblem of the particular French region, which is a nice touch.

Why didn’t I ask my husband to go shopping for wine? Well, first of all I don’t drink wine at all. Secondly he’s only got his small suitcase with him and we all think cheese is more important!

What would you have asked him to buy? I would love to read your tips – leave a comment!

Do you love France? Then why not follow my Places – France board on Pinterest.

Lou Messugo
Cuddle Fairy

24 Comments

1. 12th June 2017 / 2:35 am

Hi there – just seen this and thought you’d like to know about a new shopping linky that has been launched at http://www.homeandhorizon.com/snapped-linky-june-july/ – would love you to link up your post so others can check it out and comment – Thanks, Lauretta p.s. Let me know if you have any questions!

2. 6th March 2017 / 6:39 am

Oooh I love clafoutis but I’ve never tried that mix! I miss being able to buy pâte feuilletée pre-made for quiche, but I don’t think I’d carry it home in my suitcase 🙂 Maybe some comté and some côte d’or chocolate? #AllAboutFrance

3. 5th March 2017 / 2:47 pm

Great post! Really made me think about what I would ask for: Rillettes, Comté cheese, crème de cassis, for a start, and hope there would be enough space! Then there are all the wonderful toiletries – Bioderma, le Petit Marseillais..

4. 3rd March 2017 / 10:34 pm

I love the snapshot of your message. Messages to our dearest ones can be quirky because our meaning is always understood by the receiver, even if not by others. My hubby knows what I mean when I hardly make any sense to myself (haha) #AllAboutFrance

5. 3rd March 2017 / 4:24 pm

I love France but it is an expensive city. Would love to visit again this year. Nice list here.

6. 3rd March 2017 / 4:08 pm

I’d do the same if hubby was stuck in UK! As for France I do like your choice of Lou Perac, but I can’t stand clafoutis, it’s far too eggy for me (but far breton is even worse! They are probably the only French desserts i DON’T like!) We always buy my mother-in-law a fridge magnet from our travels as she collects them. She’s got rather a lot now!! Thanks for linking up this fun post to #AllAboutFrance.

7. 3rd March 2017 / 11:09 am

I would definitely have given him a list too but I think my hubby would have bought plenty of cheese anyway!

8. 3rd March 2017 / 8:44 am

You’ve got to make the most of these things. I’d like some cheese and if there was a Sephora anywhere near by I’m sure I could get a lovely list of makeup that I’d like!

9. 2nd March 2017 / 9:34 pm

I love this, and you had me at cheese. I love that you also got him to pick up a flannel for your souvenr, but when in Rome…….Well France you must come back with a souvenir

• 2nd March 2017 / 10:52 pm

Oh no actually the photos are all things we bought on holiday last year, but they are my favourites so that’s why I asked for more today!

10. 2nd March 2017 / 9:08 pm

Yum, the post has made my mouth water. I love French food and I’ll be totally jelly of your pantry if hubby brings all of these back for you. Kat x

• 3rd March 2017 / 11:29 am

Haha well the suitcase is quite small but I think his suit will whiff of strong cheese!

11. 2nd March 2017 / 6:24 pm

What fun! My boy always asks me to bring back Kinder Eggs with the toy inside (and mind you he is 22 yrs old), and carambars candy. But I must say, I usually have the craziest things in my suitcase on the way back – have been thinking of writing a post someday. A had a full sized inflated soccer ball in my suitcase not long ago (that was hard to fit!).

• 3rd March 2017 / 11:30 am

You should definitely write that post, I would enjoy it!

• 3rd March 2017 / 10:32 pm

What a super fun comment. Kinder Eggs never go out of fashion! Souvenir lists is an interesting topic for sure!

12. Susan
    2nd March 2017 / 4:54 pm

I would have asked for… cheese! Raclette maybe as we have a sadly under-used Raclette pan. And definitely chocolate. I want to try your sheep’s cheese though (having recently decided I quite like grilled halloumi), and your Clafoutis! Without the packing restraints though I would also have gone for olive oil and wine………

• 3rd March 2017 / 11:32 am

That would have been a good idea. We have to order Raclette for boxing day from the specialist cheese shop every year. I haven’t tried French olive oil, good tip.