Sponsored post – we were given Chalkola Chalk Pens to review but all words and opinions are my own.
We’ve had some great fun this week with Chalkola pens. My teenage and tween-age children have both enjoyed these fun chalk markers mainly because I’ve let them draw on the windows! Chalkola pens easily wipe off glass and are ideal pens to decorate windows and mirrors or even the fridge. Of course they’re good on chalkboards too and I tested them on the kitchen cupboards with good results. They’re a versatile alternative to a dry erase marker.
I’m pleased these pens seem to get my kids drawing instead of reaching for their iPads. It’s fun to draw on something they are not usually allowed to draw on. It’s like being given a licence to vandalise – but with no chance of getting in trouble because the Chalkola pen wipes off easily with a damp cloth.
Drawing fun for the family
I’ve also been drawing. I wasn’t sure how interested the children would be so I began a springtime scene on the big living-room window. As soon as the girls walked in and saw what I was doing there were squeals of excitement and they joined in. They didn’t pick up the TV remote for the rest of the evening! Next day they were keen to carry on and covered the patio doors in hearts for Valentine’s Day and lots of other things too.
The light coming through the window makes the colours luminous. The garden outside looks brown and dead at this time of year, and now we have a spring scene it brightens the whole place up. I think these pens would be ideal for a teacher who wants to decorate windows in a classroom or they could be used in a café. It would be simple to change the décor with the seasons. With the Chalkola pens it will be simple for us to decorate the windows at Halloween and Christmas too.
The different size nibs in the different packs would appeal to chalk artists of all abilities. You can rub your fingers over your dry picture with little damage, it sticks on well.
Tips for using Chalkola pens
Chalkola pens are non-toxic and washable; they should wash out of clothes although I haven’t needed to test this. For first use, shake the pen then pump the nib on a surface for about half a minute until the ink flows. You won’t need to do this again. When you are drawing on a vertical surface like a window they may drip or run, so have some damp kitchen towel handy. We also used damp cotton buds for fine adjustments to our pictures.
The caps simply pull off but we did accidentally unscrew the whole pen once or twice when we forgot to just pull. Chalkola recommend that you do not try them on anything slightly porous like a wooden table in case the colour soaks in.
What are the Chalkola pens like to use?
Chalkola have recently launched their new metallic pens with a finer point and we used these to draw a mandala on the fridge. The metallic sheen looks good on the fridge, especially the gold and silver pens.
To be honest when the pens arrived they didn’t look remarkable. They look like any packet of markers. However they are uniquely effective and fun art materials and we are so pleased to have been given them to review.
Readers of Falcondale Life can get a 15% discount on Chalkola products using coupon code 15OFFSTR. The pens are available with this code either direct from the Chalkola website or from Amazon; take a look at 15mm Marker or the new 21 Markers including metallic pack.
GIVEAWAY – PRIZE DRAW
You can WIN one of the newly-launched packets of 21 Chalkola pens. The pack contains 16 colour markers plus six more metallic colours. Simply visit my Falcondale Life Facebook page, and LIKE the Chalkola giveaway post and COMMENT on it. (You need to do both to enter). I’d love it if you would like the page too and share so your friends can enter!
Terms and conditions
1. There is one prize of one packet of 21 Chalkola markers
2. The closing date is Monday 27th February 2017 at 10pm
3. The competition is open to UK residents over 13 years old excluding employees of Chalkola and their relatives.
4. Enter by liking AND commenting on the Chalkola giveaway post on my Falcondale Life Facebook page – click here to find it
5. One entry per person.
6. The winner’s name will be available on request and may be published on Falcondale Life and social media accounts.
7. The winner will be chosen at random with the help of an online random generator.
8. The winner will be contacted by a Facebook message and a reply to their comment. The winner has 21 days to respond with shipping details, after which another winner will be chosen instead.
9. The promoter is Chalkola and they will be provided with the winner’s details and will send out the prize.
10. Entrants may be invited to like the Facebook page but liking the page is not an entry requirement for the giveaway.
11. By entering this prize draw entrants confirm that they have read, understood and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
12. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or in association with Facebook.
Read about planning activities for children here